Mid Term Assessment Meeting held at the Office of the North of England Brussels on the 2nd & 3rd October 2003

Day 1 notes Day 2 notes

Notes:

  1. These minutes should be read in conjunction with the power point presentations referenced in the relevant sections and also with reference to the results page of the Pro-ENBIS web site: http://pro.enbis.org.
  2. The actions agreed during the meeting are summarised at the end of the minutes

Day 2 of the Mid Term Assessment Meeting held 3rd October 2003

The following agenda items would be discussed:

The Commission would decide by the end of Nov 2003 whether to continue with the project

Mid-term project Assessment:

M. Paneli pointed out the following:

Although the project seems to have achieved the majority of the deliverables outlined in the Description of Work by mid-term and at the beginning of the Day 1 minutes, this is a quantitative assessment rather than qualitative.

Meropi concluded that:

Finalisation of Mid-Term report

Meropi offered comments for finalisation of the mid-term report. She requested that following info and documentation be included (and be also posted on the web):

Summary of actions:

Action agreed: Co-ordinator will initially complete the template and the WP leader will fill out any remaining information e.g. rationale of the visit. The relevant power-point presentations would also be attached, relevant URLs to other web pages and pdf documents.

Lists

It was further agreed that the lists could be made available on the ENBIS web page too, to encourage interaction. The web master would be contacted to arrange.

A Further suggestion was to invite industrialists to give presentations to talk about their problems. This was welcomed as a good idea.

Future Plans: 6th Framework Proposals

Cordis Web site - One of the functions of the site is to match demands and needs for business and potential research partners. It was agreed that Meropi would send details of the CRAFT database to the Co-ordinator

CRAFT Mentoring.

The rules for Craft have changed – this needs to be considered as changed from the 5th Framework. Proposals for 6th F need SME clusters and specific subject areas (encouraging small specialist areas). The group was advised that the deadline for submission was the 27th November 2003. It was further agreed that Henry Wynn would assist in drafting the proposals. ISRU would submit the proposals. As the deadline was tight it was reiterated that need to work on this quickly.

The group was requested to suggest areas of possible collaboration under the 6th FP.

The following was suggested:

Areas of interest:

The group was informed about Innovation Relay Centres – who offer consultancy for industry, business plans, technology transfer and mentoring for industry. Meropi advised the group that they are available in each country. She agreed to send the group the relevant web site.

Date of Next Meeting

There are two options for the next project meeting

Slovenia (Ljubljana) to be held on 5th April 04 followed by a Six Sigma Workshop on the 6th April 04 and a Pro-ENBIS company visit on the 7th April 04

Norway (Matforsk Oslo) Friday 14th May 04.

A further meeting will be held in Copenhagen Sept 2004 in conjunction with the 4th Annual ENBIS Conference. The Final Project meeting will be held in Newcastle December 2004.

The date and venue of the next meeting will be posted directly onto the project web site.

All Partners were urged to provide feedback to the Co-ordinator for the preparation of the Mid Term Report and advise of further suggestions. Meropi will start sending comments by the 3rd week in October 2003.

It was further agreed that the Power-point presentation giving Feedback on the project would be uploaded directly onto the project web site.

Further suggestions following on from comments from the Scientific Officer:

ENBIS working Groups - agreed to enhance activity of the ENBIS Working Groups we need to collaborate and disseminate further. The distinction is artificial. The Working Groups will develop together after the end of the project.

It was agreed that the password protection could be removed from sections of the Pro-ENBIS web site all Pro-ENBIS material could therefore be available to ENBIS members. The minutes of the Pro-ENBIS meetings would however remain to be pass word protected

Need to stress in the Mid term report the amount of collaboration with ENBIS. Poul Thyregod President of ENBIS agreed to write a section in the opening Executive Summary stressing the brilliance of our liaisons.

Process simulation

It was agreed that Lesley Fairbairn would forward the postal addresses of Pro-ENBIS Members to the WP3 Leader who would then send out the CD to the Pro ENBIS members free of charge.

It was noted that The Instructors guides are useful for running courses; Student Guides are also available The materials can be useful for a works visit, workshop and courses and particularly useful for DOE and SPC.

Installation - can be installed onto a PC when the programme is run gives you an install key, Tony will then allocate a password key that will be valid for 14 days

The material is available to all Pro-ENBIS members until the end of the project, after that if wish to run the courses can pay thereafter.

If others wish to run need to pay but agreed to wait for feedback from members, need to advise if there are bugs in the software.

The price of the software (450 Euro + VAT) was suggested this will cover administration, production and development costs after the overheads are covered the proceeds will be split between Greenfield and UPC. A booklet will also be provided. New exercises can be included if members have ideas.

The group was advised that Pedro Saraiva is going to send material based on a pulp processing company - bulk processing is a different type of modelling. Tony noted that he would welcome guides to be available in other languages.

Metagen – interacting with the pharmaceutical industry this is more expensive as it took considerable effort – this will be available soon and can be demonstrated at any time.

New Journal: The European Journal for Business & Industrial Statistics

The group were advised that a deliverable under Work Package 6 (D6.5) was to draw up a draft for founding a new journal. The journal will focus upon Europe and it is envisaged that there will be 3 issues per year, incorporating 1 for the Annual ENBIS Conference and 2 further editions. There are several issues to be examined and considered one of which is the general decline in demand for journals, a further issue is the effort in respect of time and resources that need to be invested.

The benefit of a dedicated journal would be that it would be a perfect outlet for our material, reaching a wide audience and that we would be in control of the process

The possibility of a new journal is something that ENBIS has talked about. Contacted is needed with the academic press - we already have contact with Kluber Academic Press. (Springer Verlag)

Another initiative may be links with established journals for example QREI. This is an inexpensive method of having identity with a journal.

Journal of Stochastic Modelling in Business and Industry (Fabrizio Ruggeri is now the main editor) Journal is published by Wiley. The group were advised that Wiley have a pay for view system - Fabrizio is trying to obtain a reasonable offer (reduced price) we also direct access to the QREI, they are willing to let ENBIS join the editorial board.

The group was consulted to see what type of journal they would like.

A suggestion was that we perhaps could go with a magazine with 12 issues per year, along the lines of the Quality Progress, suggestion to run with Springer perhaps.

A further suggestion was how about proceedings for the annual conference almost like an annual journal; it is a lot of work. At the moment the delegates get a free CD from the conference. The full papers are on CD and are on the web. It is a good idea, however to collaborate with best papers in a journal.

We currently have an agreement with the QREI - Guest Editor (SYC) was asked to select a range from the Rimini Conference the papers were refereed and again this year 8 papers have been selected. It was requested if this process needs to be opened up. Next year there will be a question on the feedback questionnaire. This year it was asked what presentation papers people enjoyed and a balance of papers was created from the feedback. In future there could be a selection panel, recommendations were sought of how this should be done in the future.

Our job is to disseminate information to business and industry. A concern was practitioners might view journals as vehicles for theoretical papers. In this view a magazine format may be viewed more positively. Magazines cover costs with advertising (we could get advertising from software companies) magazines are also cheaper to subscribe to. It gives ideas of application of real work. A further suggestion would be that the magazine could go onto the web. There was concern that there would be interest but would there be active authors? It was further suggested that a magazine could be given as part of the benefits of membership of ENBIS (there are currently approx. 800 members)

Tony agreed to approach some publishing houses to ascertain feedback; Ronald could also contact Springer to see how they would feel about a colour magazine

The group was advised that the Royal Statistical Society would be launching a magazine. (We could co-operate with others including RSS). It was stressed that ENBIS has it's own brand which will sell the magazine and journal. It was agreed that we should press ahead with this.

The views of the group were very positive, of the group 17 members supported a magazine format and 7 supported both a magazine and journal

It was agreed that a model would be drawn up, Shirley Coleman agreed to put ideas and suggestions into a document and circulate for comment. It was further agreed that we need to establish a committee to put together a team to continue the journal idea. It was agreed that Ronald Does will continue with the idea, Henry Wynn, Soren Bisgaard and Tony Greenfield would be involved in a standing committee.

Option 1 would be to get publisher, this would require less effort or cash, and we would need to find the papers.

Option 2 to carry out the work ourselves through a publisher. This would be a huge undertaking and would need to be done by a professional. We would need to clarify who would do the work. It was stressed that publishing houses have an editorial team and a distribution and circulation editor.

Demonstrating Design Experiment

Oystein Evandt demonstrated a DOE that could be made for use with Students. The DOE was simple to construct. The group was very positive. We can get information on this from the originator. Anyone who was interested in the detail could contact Anne de Frenne.

Close of Meeting

The next meeting will be focused on activities and progress of the work packages. The group expressed thanks to Newcastle for doing a fantastic job

Close of meeting 12.30