Minutes: Project Management Meeting in Copenhagen

Pro-ENBIS (G6RT-CT-2001-05059)

Scandic Hotel, Copenhagen, Copenhagen Denmark

Sunday 19th September 2004, 10:25-15:20

Minutes taken by Erik Mønness, report prepared by Shirley Coleman

Present at the meeting:

Andrea Ahlemeyer-Stubbe   Erik Mønness
Stefano Barone   Jorge Muruzabal
Søren Bisgaard   Irena Ograjensek
Frøydis Bjerke   Jane Patterson
Shirley Coleman   Aantonio Pievatolo
Anne de Frenne   Jaime Puig-pey
Ronald Does   Mario Reis
Pasquale Erto   Daniele Romano
Øystein Evandt   Fabrizio Ruggeri
Rainer Goeb   Wim Sanden
Tony Greenfield   Paul Thyregod
Adam Jednorog   Kamil Torczewski
Ron Kenett   Xavier Tort
Susanna Kunttu   John Tyssedal
John Logsdon   Carolyn van Lottum
Alberto Lombardo   Grazia Vicario
Alberto Luceno   Henry Wynn
Chris mcCollin   Andreas Zempleni

 

1

 

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

Shirley Coleman chaired the meeting. She has taken over from Dave Stewardson, who has retired. She welcomed everyone and presented the ISRU team. Everyone presented themselves.


2

 

Agree agenda for the meeting

The proposed agenda was accepted.


3

 

Minutes of the last meeting

Project management meeting held in Ljubljana 5th April 2004, minutes available on the pro-ENBIS website http://pro.enbis.org

The minutes were accepted.

Action: Henry Wynn agreed to circulate the Lambert report which had not yet been circulated.


4

 

Management Overview


 

4a

Six-month periodic report – review & comments

The report was accepted.

 

4b

ETIP – progress and reminder for work package leaders to complete

Part one is to be done by the coordinators, but the rest must be filled in by the partners. Deadline is December.

It was noted that although it is not an obligatory contract like the consortium agreement, the commission takes the ETIP very seriously.


 

4c

Cost Statements and review of resources

No complaints.


5

 

Members news

A number of different upcoming conferences were mentioned by partners.

Action: Partners are requested to send details to the ENBIS webmaster so that they can be put on the web page.

It was reported that Tony Greenfield has been awarded the 2004 William G. Hunter award. Partners congratulated Tony on his well-earned recognition. His acceptance speech will be placed onto the ENBIS website.


6

 

Review of work carried out since last meeting


 

6a

Measurement systems

Øystein Evandt is about to start a 4 month stay at ISRU, University of Newcastle. During this time he will add to Deliverable 8.7 , amongst other things. Oystein commented that measurement systems is a large and important area. The ISO standard has no formulas, only words. He will communicate with Daniele Romano amongst others.


 

6b

Learning materials database

All material is in place. The EU wants it to be grouped to make it more easily accessible and usable.

Action: UNEW to group the learning materials database in Deliverable 5.3

Paul Thyregod said the data base should be available to ENBIS members.

John Logsdon said that some parts of the Pro-ENBIS website are available on the ENBIS website. He would like ENBIS to handle the web pages when Pro-ENBIS terminated. It was expected that this would be possible except for the confidential material, for example related to company visits.


 

6c

Miscellaneous

Seven joint pro-Enbis papers were delivered last year. They are listed on the website.


7

 

Website update

No comments.


8

 

Publications and Periodicals


 

8a

QREI special edition

Martina Vandebroek is guest editor of QREI for this year's Enbis special edition. Shirley Coleman was guest editor for the past 2 years. Last year's special edition contains 2 pro-Enbis papers and will be given to all attendees at the Copenhagen Enbis conference to follow the project meeting.


 

8b

State of the art book

The state of the art report required for Deliverable 8.7 is on target for completion by December 2004. There have been many contributions from partners. The compilation (64 pages) to date was circulated to members before the meeting. A chapter template, and a template for case studies had been circulated.

There was a lively discussion of how to handle publishing the report as a book.

Shirley Coleman told partners that it was decided in Ljubljana that the book should have 16 chapters. Anne de Frenne asked if we could have an editor for each chapter? Shirley reported that there are a number of contributors for each chapter.

Shirley Coleman reported that Wiley want to publish a book from the report.

There is a copyright issue which suggests the need for the report and the book to be substantially different, ie there should be two versions: A web version of the report to fulfil the pro-ENBIS deliverable and a Wiley book with copyright.

The book needs a well-known main editor, but Søren Bisgaard said he has no time to do this. Wiley want an alternative American main editor. A number of partners felt uncomfortable to have an American non-Enbis editor. It was felt that Enbis should have the glory. So they would prefer a European editor. Partners expressed the strong view that Søren Bisgaard should remain as the editor. One partner felt that it was disgraceful to have to re-edit the book to an American edition. There are so many differences between European and American. One partner said that a rewrite is "mission impossible".

Partners then started to suggest alternative publishers and methods of publishing. It was noted that the EU has its own publisher via the Cordis website. This may diminish copyright issues.

Another partner suggested to publish through Springer because we should either publish through EU or a European publisher.

Another partner suggested we could publish "on demand", from a server.

Ronald Does pointed out that as pro-ENBIS terminates soon, pro-ENBIS can not have responsibility for the server.

Søren Bisgaard asked if there is a European Wiley?

Shirley Coleman answered, Yes. Wiley want to publish the book, they are the only major publisher without this kind of a book.

The advantage of Wiley is that they will promote the book and make it available to a wider audience. We want to promote pro-ENBIS and ENBIS.

Irena Ograjensek asked if we could have a summary edition for EU? (Yes, possible)

Henry Wynn felt that copyright is not an important issue. But should we go for Wiley?

Søren Bisgaard said he understands that Wiley wants business, and thus there can be no freely available web version. Wiley will not like a title like "the ENBIS handbook"

Frøydis Bjerke asked what is the drawback with EU?

Shirley Coleman said None, but we started with Wiley. Wiley want an American editor and want to call the book something more general like 'Applying statistical methods in business and industry'.

Søren Bisgaard asked how expensive the book will be, he wondered whether it would be as high as 200 euros?Henry Wynn said he expected Break/Even is 500 copies.

Shirley Coleman said she was not willing to negotiate with other publishers because of the lengthy liaison with Wiley. Ronald Does said that we are not where we should be on the book if it is to be published next year. We need another year.

One contributor noted that he and his co-authors have completed their chapter and would obviously like to be published somewhere.

Ron Kenett said that Springer is better than Cordis (EU) because of the greater exposure, which is also true of Wiley but Wiley has too many conditions.

Søren Bisgaard suggested that Shirley be the editor. Shirley re-iterated that Wiley want to have a well-known American editor.

Henry Wynn suggested a small committee with Shirley as chair to sort the issue of the book out.

The following committee was arranged to propose a solution on the book issue:

Søren Bisgaard, Ronald Does, Tony Greenfield, Shirley Coleman, John Logsdon, and Henry Wynn.

Shirley Coleman said we would have to return to the issue but in the meantime should take advantage of having all the partners and authors together to discuss the progress of the report.

The assembly was divided into groups according to their responsibility for the various chapters, and requested to share views and opinions as to content, progress and action plans. Reports were collected after a period of small group discussions.

Contributors to chapters:

  1. Shirley Coleman
  2. Jeroen de Mast & Ronald Does
  3. Ronald Does
  4. Ron Kenett
  5. Irena Ograjensek, Jeroen de Mast & Ronald Does & Soren Bisgaard
  6. Irena Ograjensek
  7. Henry Wynn
  8. Paola Giudici and Andrea Ahlemeyer-Stubbe
  9. Øystein Evandt, Alberto Luceno, Ron kenett & Rainer Gob
  10. Raffaello Levi and Grazia Vicario
  11. Henry Wynn
  12. Christopher McCollin and Maria Ramalhoto
  13. Marco Reis & Pedro Saraiva
  14. Marco Busatto, Fabrizio Ruggeri, David Rios Insua & Jorge Muruzabal
  15. Tony Greenfield and John Logsdon
  16. Shirley Coleman

In the afternoon, it was agreed that:

  • The audience of the book is pro-ENBIS members, "statistical practitioners", educated in statistics or not.
  • The chapter template, and the template for case studies, must be recirculated.
  • The deadline for chapters is 15th November.

9

 

Feedback from recently held workshops/Industrial visits

All meetings will be reported on the pro-ENBIS web.

Nine meetings were reported. Partners were pleased with the sustained and continued enthusiasm for pro-Enbis activities.


10

 

Further work to be done in the final 3 months of project

Status on meetings: OK

Status on articles: OK

Status on visits: OK. Øystein Evandt is arranging an industrial visit in Newcastle in the area of pipelines which has many statistical applications.

Action: Oystein to inform partners of the details of the impending industrial visit.

Tony Greenfield responded that: He has succeeded to launch the "ENBIS journal pages" in "Scientific Computing World", without any funding. The four pages generate a lot of work. We need two articles per issue. Tony advised that we should concentrate on case studies. Henry Wynn noted that: The articles should be 800 or 1500 words.

Letters can also be published.

Søren Bisgaard proposed that we should bring material from the ENBIS newsletter into "Scientific Computing World".


11

 

Life after Pro-ENBIS


 

11a

6th framework advice from project officer

The project officer had suggested certain web pages to partners.


 

11b

An ISRU led task force will report on possible new projects and on advice received from the project officer

Shirley Coleman presented an overview of funding possibilities.

Action: The presentation to be made available on the pro-ENBIS website.

ISRU will go for a Network of Excellence (NoE), and can take the lead. A new proposal must be different from pro-ENBIS. There were the following comments:

Henry Wynn: NoE has been "enormously large".

Win Sanden: This may change to allow smaller NoEs.

John Logsdon: Pro-ENBIS "get people together". What is left to do? How much time shall we use flying for EU projects?

Frøydis Bjerke: It is not easy to get people to work for ENBIS when they are non-funded. Matforsk is on a beef project. Statistics should be involved as a resource.

Henry Wynn: We have not done research. A new project could start with special areas, like conjoint analysis, as a follow up.

Paul Thyregod: Mentioned a project "Quality methods in food science". Statistics could be merged with an applied area.

Shirley Coleman: A new project should build on pro-ENBIS, but explore "new hot topics".

Ron Kenett: There is a possibility to make proposals for tenders. EU asks for proposals. There has been something on funding in FP6 and Research and Development in the service area.

Marie Curie Fellowships are good and not very difficult to establish.

Søren Bisgaard proposed a committee on further funding.

The following committee shall outline a proposal for a follow-up project: Henry Wynn, Shirley Coleman, Fabrizio Ruggeri, Ron Kenett, and Adam Jednorog.

 

11c

Discussion on formation of individual Countries ENBIS

The issue of the formation of an Italian regional Enbis group was raised by Stefano Barone. Shirley Coleman said this issue is a case for ENBIS, not pro-ENBIS.


12

 

Final report

No new comments


13

 

Any other business

No comments


14

 

Date of next meeting: Newcastle 1st, 2nd & 3rd December 2004

An industrial visit or workshop could be arranged, if of interest.


   

The meeting was closed 15:20.